Blog & Insights
How is Australia supporting international students during the COVID-19 crisis?
The Australian government has recently announced various visa changes to help support international students already in Australia as well as those who haven’t been able to travel due to COVID-19 border closures.
The five key changes are as follows:
- The Government will recommence granting student visas in all locations lodged outside Australia. This means when borders re-open, students will already have visas and be able to make arrangements to travel.
- International students will be able to lodge a further student visa application free of charge, if they are unable to complete their studies within their original visa validity due to COVID-19.
- Current student visa holders studying online outside Australia due to COVID-19 will be able to use that study to count towards the Australian study requirement for a post-study work visa.
- Graduates who held a student visa will be eligible to apply for a post-study work visa outside Australia if they are unable to return due to COVID-19.
- Additional time will be given for applicants to provide English language results where COVID-19 has disrupted access to these services.
These changes have been put in place to assist international students disadvantaged by COVID-19 and give them confidence in their visa arrangements so they can make plans to study in Australia when it is safe to do so.
The Australian Government has previously relaxed work restrictions for international students working in the health, aged and disability care sectors during the COVID-19 pandemic. It has also been flexible in cases where COVID-19 has prevented international students meeting their visa conditions, such as not being able attend classes in person.
You can view the press release regarding this announcement here.
No travel? No worries.
If you are planning to come to Australia to study and want to start organising your accommodation, Iglu is offering a ‘No Travel’ policy. Just book one of our standard Semester 2 contract start dates, and you will be able to defer your contract start date up until four weeks after travel restrictions between your home country and Australia are lifted. Read more about the offer here.