You can browse the Iglu website, view content, and enjoy many features without any need for you to provide any personal information. We do not require personal information for you to gain access to our website. However, you will not be able to utilise certain features that require registration, such as applying for accommodation or receive materials such as newsletters, unless such information is provided. Further, our ability to meet our obligations to you or to process any application, request or complaint may be adversely affected if you do not give us the requested personal information, or if the information you give us is incomplete or inaccurate.
The personal information we collect may include your name, address, telephone number and email address. We may also collect other information such as date of birth, gender, country of origin, address in that country, details of your emergency contact/s and other information.
Where you have successfully applied for accommodation with us, we may collect further information including bank account details and medical information we should know about you.
Where you have applied for a job with us, or to provide services to us (either personally or through a company), we may also collect information in relation to your work history, experience, relevant licences and police checks.
We will collect personal information in various circumstances, including when you:
1. register or provide information on our websites;
2. apply for accommodation with us;
3. are the emergency contact person whose details are provided to us by a student applying for accommodation and an emergency situation arises;
4. participate in a message board, survey or questionnaire;
5. subscribe to our mailing list, or sign up to receive our newsletters or other materials, including promotional materials;
6. ask us questions or request information about services, offers or features or make a complaint;
7. register for additional services to be provided to you;
8. request or receive customer or technical support;
9. apply for employment with us (either personally or through an employment agency); or
10. are a nominated individual in a contract for the provision of services to us.
For security reasons we have CCTV cameras operating in some public areas of our buildings. CCTV footage may be taken, used and stored in accordance with applicable laws.
You acknowledge and consent to the use and disclosure of your personal information in circumstances that are:
2. clearly explained to you at the time the information is collected from you; or
3. required or permitted by law.
We may use the personal information that you give to us:
1. to improve our services and internal processes;
2. for reasonable business purposes including customer service, record keeping, application processing, provision of our services, marketing, research, auditing our internal operations, and to resolve any complaints;
3. to provide you with services, newsletters or information that you have requested;
4. to send you occasional offers or information on services (current or new) or features, offers, promotions, contests or events that we consider may be of interest to you;
5. to send you information on enhancements or functional changes to our website or policies, or other information about Iglu; or
6. for any other purpose that is stated to you at the time of collection or that you otherwise authorise.
We may disclose personal information that we collect from you to a third party:
1. engaged to provide services relevant to your accommodation with us, including the provision of internet packages, cleaning services, online transaction processing services and the conduct of student surveys;
2. to meet the purpose for which it was collected including to provide you with services requested by you or relevant to your accommodation with us;
3. to meet our obligations under an agreement with a partnered tertiary education provider if you were referred to us by a partnered tertiary education provider;
4. if we have your consent to disclose the information;
5. to assist with internal website support operations, including, email services and technical support;
6. if we are required or permitted by law to disclose the information, including for example to comply with a court order or regulatory investigation;
7. in the event of a merger, acquisition or any other change in ownership of all or a portion of Iglu’s business (in which case your personal information may be transferred to the new owner so that the business can continue its operations);
8. to protect the safety and security of our premises, our customers and our website;
9. to enable us to deal with any concern, issue or complaint you have raised with us, including disclosing details of any such matter to Iglu’s related bodies corporate overseas and also to professional advisors, insurers and service providers; and
10. if your personal information is collected in connection with a joint promoter or service provider, to that organisation for marketing and research purposes, but only if that disclosure was disclosed to you at or before the time of collection.
We allow you to tell us the way in which you would like us to use your personal information. At the time you provide personal information, we may give you the option of declining further offers or information. In addition, marketing materials we send to you will give you the ability to unsubscribe.
We may deal with third parties, such as service providers or related bodies corporate that are located overseas. As a result, your personal information may be disclosed to a recipient in a foreign country, including but not limited to Singapore. We will take reasonable steps, in the circumstances, before disclosing personal information to an overseas recipient to ensure that the overseas recipient does not breach Australia’s privacy laws in relation to that information.
We will take reasonable technical and organisational steps to ensure that the personal information we hold is:
1. accurate, complete, up-to-date, relevant and not misleading;
2. stored in a secure environment; and
3. protected from misuse, interference and loss as well as unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
If any of your details change, please let us know as soon as possible by using the contact details below so we can maintain the accuracy of your personal information.
From time to time we review our security procedures to consider appropriate new technology and methods. However please appreciate that despite our best efforts, no security measure is perfect or impenetrable due to the nature of email and the internet, and we cannot guarantee the privacy or confidentiality of your personal information.
You have a right to access any personal information we hold about you. We will comply with any request to access your personal information except where the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) or the APPs allow us to refuse to do so. There is no fee for making a request to access your personal information but we may charge a fee for giving you access to your personal information in a mutually agreed format, usually by sighting the accessible information held on file.
You also have a right to ask us to correct personal information about you that is inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date, irrelevant or misleading. If we refuse to correct your personal information as requested by you, we will notify you in writing of the reasons for the refusal (unless it would be unreasonable to do so) and, upon request from you, we will attach a note recording the correction that you sought to the relevant information, so that it can always be read with that information.
You may also request that we delete your personal information. We will comply with your request unless we are required for legal reasons to keep the information.
Any requests for access to, or correction of, your personal information should be made directly by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In every case where we receive a request to either correct or delete personal information concerning you, we will inform you of the action taken as a result of that request (whether or not the request is granted).
We will only collect sensitive information from you where this is relevant to services we will be providing to you, or it is relevant to services that you may wish to provide to us. We will not disclose sensitive information (such as information about your health, racial or ethnic origins or political or religious beliefs) except with your specific consent or in circumstances permitted under Australian privacy legislation.
We may collect this information for statistical and consumer research purposes, including finding out how the website is used and navigated, the number of hits, the frequency and duration of visits and the most popular session times. We use this information internally for the purposes of gauging visitor traffic, trends and determining which information is the most relevant to you and to improve our website’s performance. We will also use the information necessary to investigate or report any suspected unlawful activity, as required or permitted by law or as reasonably necessary for the activity of an enforcement body.
If you have any questions, requests, comments or complaints about how we handle your personal information, please contact us at email@example.com. You can also contact us at:
Iglu Pty Limited
68 York Street
SYDNEY NSW 2000
+ 61 2 9083 6308
We will consider and respond to any complaint notified to us within a reasonable time. We will always endeavour to answer your questions efficiently and correctly and try to resolve any complaint you may have about our privacy handling procedures to your satisfaction.
In case of dissatisfaction you may decide to contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner as follows: